Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Simulated World and Second Life

I am quite familiar with the word “Simulated World” after watching the movie “The Matrix”. This is not because of I liked the movie; I liked the concept “Simulated World/Virtual Reality”. The “Virtual reality” is the idea that reality could be simulated to a degree indistinguishable from “true” reality. For instance, Second Life - an Internet-based simulated world.

I tried to enter in Second Life several times but could not make it due to restart problem in my computer. While I entered in Second Life the computer restart itself after a while. Maybe the computer does not like Second Life. I entered the virtual world in another computer and started to move around by foot. I was just stacked in an area after a while and could not come out. As I know that in Second Life there are two kinds of communication methods such as local chat and instant messaging (IM). I found some people over there and asked for help with the help of IM but failed. I could not understand what to do and was unable to get any direction from others so I signed out from Second Life then. I re-entered in Second Life again but with a female login name “Sania Carter” and I was getting instant message from others especially boys. I made it possible with a fake identity.

In a virtual world the main problem is fake identity, fake gendering. It is very easy to make a person fool and it is also very tough to trust anyone there. It is very important to verify the identification of the residents in Second Life. It could be done with their valid credit card, card or PayPal account number, or by responding to a cell phone SMS text message. Second Life could be a place for sex freak because most of the people I know are only looking for sex in Second Life. I would rather prefer the real world than a virtual world and Second Life could not be a replacement of a real world.

If anyone asks me do you want to live in a simulated world permanently with all the things that you want? He will have then my quick answer “No, thanks. I am quite happy with my real world”.

Work Cited
Wikipedia: the free encyclopedia. 2007. 10 Apr 2007. .

No comments: